Vesselin Popov is responsible for the Centre’s commercial partnerships and oversees a range of projects to increase the understanding and use of Big Data Psychology in business and the community. He identifies areas where psychometric techniques can deliver the greatest impact and drives product development strategy, helping to put cutting-edge tools in the hands of citizens.
Vess also coordinates Apply Magic Sauce, a battery of predictive algorithms based on over 6 million users’ psychological and social media data. These models translate digital footprints of human behaviour into accurate psycho-demographic profiles and are used by academics and businesses to personalise a variety of services and paltforms. This project has had tremendous impact on public awareness of digital issues.
Vess read Law at Trinity College, Cambridge, and has applied his skills in a diverse array of fields, ranging from the music and sports industries in the UK to the Bulgarian Ministry of Finance. His interests include intellectual property, privacy and data protection law, digital marketing and entrepreneurship. Vess is also an accomplished guitar and bass player and performs regularly at functions in and around Cambridge. He is bilingual in English and Bulgarian, and is a proficient French speaker.
Click here to email Vess.
- Trust and Predictive Technologies 2016, Thought leadership report on privacy, prediction and personalisation, drawing on my study at www.predictivedataproject.com [View PDF] [MarketingWeek]
- Facebook as a Social Science Research Tool: Opportunities, Challenges, Ethical Considerations and Practical Guidelines by M. Kosinski, S. Matz, S. Gosling, V. Popov, D. Stillwell, American Psychologist, 2015 [manuscript]
- The Psychology of Entrepreneurship, Global psychometric research study for Barclays, with S. Matz, V. Mahalingam and D. Stillwell, June 2015 [link]
- Using The Big Five For Customised Advertising On Facebook (poster) by Matz, S., Popov, V., Kosinski, M., Stillwell, D., Annual Meeting of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP), 2015
- Using Big Data in Real-Life Online Marketing: Personality-targeted and tailored advertising on Facebook (poster) by Matz, S., Chan, A.F., Popov, V., Stillwell, D. & Kosinski, M. Association for Psychological Science Convention (APS), 2014 [link][download]
- The Darkness in Data: Unravelling the Impact of Social Media, Big Data and Psychometrics on Privacy, Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium, Darmstadt, 21 July 2016 [link][slides]
- Apply Magic Sauce to Your Organisation's Data: Launch of Analytics Product with Keyrus Group, Eight Club Bank, 2 June 2016 [register]
- *Psychological Marketing with Big Data: How It's Working Now, Content & Commerce Futures Conference, 18 May 2016 [link]
- Social Listening Workshop, Social Media for Business Consortium (CfBI), Paris, 10 May 2016
- Data for Good: Predictive Data and Ambient Intelligence, Edelman London, 26 April 2016
- Know Your Customer: Making Big Data, Psychology and Social Media Useful, Neuromarketing Conference, Antwerp, 19 April 2016
- How to Read Your Social Footprint, Social Media for Business Consortium, Centre for Business Innovation, 18 Feb 2016
- Digital Footprints on the Path to Personalisation, Barclays Insights Expo, London, 1 Feb 2016
- Personal Automotive: Discovering What Drives Us with Big Data, Silverstone, 26 Jan 2016
- Predictive Data and Ambient Intelligence, Edelman London, 3 March 2016
- Sorry, the Digital You is More Interesting. Using Social Media as a Back Door into the Mind, IIeX Non-Conscious Impact Measurement Forum, New York, 10 Nov 2015 [link]
- Artificial Un-Intelligence: The Future We Do Not Want May Already Be Here, Cambridge Festival of Ideas, October 2015
- Making Sense of Big Social Data: Psychological Marketing in Practice, Mindshare Purple Day, Warsaw, 20 Oct 2015
- Putting Big Data in the Driver's Seat: A Look at Psychological Targeting in Action, Digital Dealer Automotive Marketing Conference, Silverstone, 15 Sept 2015 [link]
- Who Needs to Ask a Question? Using Social Media to Predict Behaviour, Insight Innovation Exchange NA, Atlanta, 17 June 2015 [slides][link]
- Psychometrics and the Binary Brand, Middle East Brand Summit, Dubai, 2 June 2015 [link]
- Hacking HR: A Smarter Approach to Assessment in the Digital Age, Employee Engagement Forum, Dubai, December 2014
- What businesses need to know about emotions and personality on Facebook, E-Commerce Futures Conference, London, July 2014
- Big Data Psychology: Applications in Retail, Pan Tesco Group Data Science Conference, London, June 2014
- The Information Age Job Market & How to Hack Traditional HR, HRVision Event, Amsterdam, June 2014
- How to Personalise the Live Music Industry using Big Data, Reeperbahn Festival Conference, Hamburg, September 2013
- Exhibited at the Cambridge Enterprise 'Ideas to Reality' Event 2014, Cambridge